Alexander Street is partnering with Networked Infrastructure for Nineteenth-Century Electronic Scholarship (NINES), a scholarly organization devoted to forging links between the material archive of the nineteenth century and the digital research environment of the twenty-first.
- Serve as a peer-reviewing body for digital work in the long nineteenth-century (1770-1920), British and American
- Support scholars’ priorities and best practices in the creation of digital research materials
- Develop software tools for new and traditional forms of research and critical analysis.
We’re pleased to announce that several core Alexander Street Press nineteenth century collections are now searchable via the NINES site, including:
- Irish Women Poets of the Romantic Period
- Scottish Women Poets of the Romantic Period
- The American Civil War: Letters and Diaries
- Coming soon, we will add The Romantic Era Redefined.
To give you some sense of the scope of the project, here’s a saved search showing all of our Civil War Letters and Diaries material: http://www.nines.org/search/saved?user=DWheeles&name=cwld.
Alexander Street joins ProQuest, JSTOR, and many other leading publishers in indexing important nineteenth-century primary materials through the NINES project—it’s just one of the things we’re doing to ensure that scholars can find and access these important primary materials.